Pay twice to efile

Pay twice to efile

To file in two states (NY and NJ), I know and agree that I have to pay $44 to download and install the 2nd state. But...last year, I also was charged $39 to efile NJ return. Why....do I need to pay twice in this case or is it the case because the 2nd state is New Jersey?

Pay twice to efile

In TurboTax Desktop (CD/Download) platform, there is an additional fee to e-file ANY state return.  (I think the e-file fee is currently $24.99).  In TurboTax Online, there is no additional fee to e-file a state return.  Just a difference in the platforms and their features.

You can avoid that e-filing fee by printing and mailing your NJ return.  See the instructions below if you should decide to file by mail.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***