turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

betty1080

I paid about $1440 in Union Dues and parking fees for my place of employment but it doesnt seem to make impact on my return. Is there something I am doing wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I paid about $1440 in Union Dues and parking fees for my place of employment but it doesnt seem to make impact on my return. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Only the amount of job-related expenses that are OVER 2% of your adjusted gross income get added to your list of itemized deductions, which still must exceed your standard deduction in order to make a difference on your return.  This is kind of a hard deduction to get.  If you need to enter these, go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Job-Related Expenses.

Parking fees are not deductible.

That being said, you are posting from the Free version of TurboTax which does not support itemized deductions.  In order to itemize your deductions, you need an upgraded version of TT such as Deluxe (or higher).  If you do not have enough deductions to itemize, then your union dues will not affect your refund or tax due.  You will just receive the standard deduction.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Only the amount of job-related expenses that are OVER 2% of your adjusted gross income get added to your list of itemized deductions, which still must exceed your standard deduction in order to make a difference on your return.  This is kind of a hard deduction to get.  If you need to enter these, go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Job-Related Expenses.

Parking fees are not deductible.

That being said, you are posting from the Free version of TurboTax which does not support itemized deductions.  In order to itemize your deductions, you need an upgraded version of TT such as Deluxe (or higher).  If you do not have enough deductions to itemize, then your union dues will not affect your refund or tax due.  You will just receive the standard deduction.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies