Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

james14

Only shareholder S corp Texas. Pay myself salary. Generate K-1 income. How best to pay tax W-2 extra withholding or quarterly 1040ES?

Does paying myself a shareholder distribution lower the K-1 reported income?
If so, on what line on the k-1 form would that distribution appear
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Only shareholder S corp Texas. Pay myself salary. Generate K-1 income. How best to pay tax W-2 extra withholding or quarterly 1040ES?

The IRS requires S-Corp's shareholders who work in the company to be paid a reasonable salary.

The salary and employer's payroll tax are claimed by the S-Corp as business expenses, so the profit reported on your K-1 will be lower. The S-corp has to issue you a form W-2 which you report in the Personal section of TurboTax.

The profit of the S-Corp will "flow through" to your personal tax return through the K-1.

Distributions to the shareholder do not lower the reported income of the S-Corp. They are reported on form K-1 in Box 16 Code D. On your personal return, distributions do not count as income as you have already been taxed on the profit of the S-Corp through form K-1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The IRS requires S-Corp's shareholders who work in the company to be paid a reasonable salary.

The salary and employer's payroll tax are claimed by the S-Corp as business expenses, so the profit reported on your K-1 will be lower. The S-corp has to issue you a form W-2 which you report in the Personal section of TurboTax.

The profit of the S-Corp will "flow through" to your personal tax return through the K-1.

Distributions to the shareholder do not lower the reported income of the S-Corp. They are reported on form K-1 in Box 16 Code D. On your personal return, distributions do not count as income as you have already been taxed on the profit of the S-Corp through form K-1.

james14

When paying the extra tax liability generated on the K-1 would adding additional withholding to my W-2 create an audit problem?  Would it be more proper to pay it as a 1040-ES payment quarterly? ( It is financially advantageous to me to pay it incrementally in bi-monthly withholding).
MinhT
Expert Alumni

When the S-Corp pays you a salary, it has to withhold federal (and state if applicable) tax, social security tax and medicare tax. It has to deposit payroll tax to the IRS (and the state) and issue a form W-2. If it did not withhold taxes, it cannot issue you the W-2 showing tax withheld. You have to pay estimated tax on the estimated profit of the S-Corp (from form K-1).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies