turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my son and his wife file jointly and take one personal exemption?

I am claiming an exemption on my taxes for my son since he lived at home for more than 6 months.  His new wife's exemption is not being taken by her parents.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

One of the requirements of being able to claim a dependent is that the dependent is not filing a joint return.  So, if your son is filing a joint return, then you would not be able to claim him.  

However, there is one exception to the above rule. You can claim an exemption for a person who files a joint return if that person and his or her spouse file the joint return only to claim a refund of income tax withheld or estimated tax paid.  See, examples 1-3 of IRS Publication 501 (starts at page 12) for examples of the scenarios applicable.  

Basically, if they are filing a joint tax return only to get their tax withholding back from their W2s, then this exception would apply and you would still be able to claim him.  But, if it's for any other reason, such as to get a tax credit and their withholding, then the exception does not apply and you cannot claim him.

Otherwise, if they file married filing separately, then you can claim him as a dependent and she would still be entitled to her own exemption.  But, filing separately will preclude them from certain tax credits and higher overall tax rates.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

One of the requirements of being able to claim a dependent is that the dependent is not filing a joint return.  So, if your son is filing a joint return, then you would not be able to claim him.  

However, there is one exception to the above rule. You can claim an exemption for a person who files a joint return if that person and his or her spouse file the joint return only to claim a refund of income tax withheld or estimated tax paid.  See, examples 1-3 of IRS Publication 501 (starts at page 12) for examples of the scenarios applicable.  

Basically, if they are filing a joint tax return only to get their tax withholding back from their W2s, then this exception would apply and you would still be able to claim him.  But, if it's for any other reason, such as to get a tax credit and their withholding, then the exception does not apply and you cannot claim him.

Otherwise, if they file married filing separately, then you can claim him as a dependent and she would still be entitled to her own exemption.  But, filing separately will preclude them from certain tax credits and higher overall tax rates.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies