Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wmateo

How to indicate that the income on my W-2 was earned abroad?

I am trying to apply for foreign earned income exclusion. All of my and my spose's incomes as reported on our W-2s was earned abroad. Therefore, when asked "what forms was foreign income reported on?", I indicate "A regular form W-2 from your employer". I'm then prompted to "go back and indicate that income n the Wages & Income section". When I do so, I am taken back to my W-2 info. I cannot find a way to edit these W-2s to make Turbotax believe that they were earned abroad. Therefore, I am unable to progress with the Earned Income Exclusion form. How do I make Turbotax understand that the same W-2s ARE my foreign earned income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Once you enter your W-2 income in the Wage & Income section and you go the the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, Turbotax will ask you

Was Your Foreign Income Reported on a W-2, Ready?  Click on No, I'll keep working on the foreign income exclusion.

Two pages later, it will ask you to confirm the amount of foreign wages on your W-2.

wmateo

Thanks Karen, but it does not ask me to confirm the amount of foreign wages on my W-2; it only asks me to enter the amount my employer paid me cash for. When I proceed without entering anything, it tells me I haven't entered any foreign income and that the form will be deleted if I continue.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

When it asks you on the first screen What Form(s) was foreign income reported on?  Did you check the first option, A regular Form W-2 from your employer?
wmateo

Yes. Then, it takes me back to the Wages & Income section for some reason. Then when I press "continue" from that screen, it just takes me back to the same "What Forms Was Foreign Income Reported On" screen within the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion form. An endless loop!
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Please go back to your W-2 and instead of Edit, please click Delete (the trash can) and reenter the information. Let me know if that clears the loop or if not, let me know.  Thank you.
wmateo

Yes, that worked. Thank you.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I'm glad.  Thanks for letting me know.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies