120551cr

On the Maryland then ax return papers for file by mail what is my preparers ptin (required by law ) number also my ptin number for federal tax form

Maryland’s tax form last page bottom right says preparers ptin (required by law ) what is that i don’t think i have one 

Rachel_W

Paid Tax Preparers are required to obtain a PTIN number from the IRS (IRS Paid Preparer Tax Identification Number) and must put it on any tax return they are paid to prepare.  If you are just preparing your own tax return, you do not need a PTIN.  

However, if you are being paid to prepare tax returns for other people, you will need to use Form W-12 to apply for a PTIN.  Click here for a link to IRS Form W-12 Instructions: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw12.pdf.