turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marcgc

On my Return for Ohio, Turbo Tax shows that I earned $106,000 but my W2-for Ohio show only $8,871. Why the discrepancy? Marc

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On my Return for Ohio, Turbo Tax shows that I earned $106,000 but my W2-for Ohio show only $8,871. Why the discrepancy? Marc

Go back through the W-2 entries in the Federal tax area and look at State income reported.  You might have a decimal place or comma off.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Go back through the W-2 entries in the Federal tax area and look at State income reported.  You might have a decimal place or comma off.

Box 16 pay attention to on the W-2, state wages

rd8sbcglobal
Returning Member

I am a non resident Ohio. Turbo taxshows 22000 earned income in Ohio, while I worked there fkr 3 mos, as local taxes and zero earned as state income. Yet Turbo Tax is reporting that I earned 88000 state income in Ohio. I don't get it.Any help will be appreciated 

JohnW152
Employee Tax Expert

That's how it's supposed to work. 

States compute nonresident income tax different ways. In Ohio, your tax is calculated based on your total income, and then you receive a credit against the tax, based on your non-Ohio income.

According to How do I calculate my nonresident credit? on the Ohio Department of Taxation's Income - Ohio Residency and Residency Credits page:

A nonresident taxpayer is allowed a “nonresident” credit for all income not earned or received in Ohio. The credit is calculated on the Ohio Schedule of Credits using the taxpayer’s non-Ohio portion of their Ohio adjusted gross income. Taxpayers must use form IT NRC to calculate the non-Ohio portion of their Ohio adjusted gross income.

@rd8sbcglobal 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies