turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mom wants to claim me.

I am 18 years old, and I am a full time college student living at home. My education is paid for in grants/scholarships. I worked at 3 different jobs this year and made over $3,300.00, while also attending 2 different colleges (Summer at one college Spring at another). My mom wants to claim me, but I am not sure how this will effect me. If my mom claims me does this effect my college? I wanted to do my taxes myself, but my mom says she can make more if she claims me. I have been told that if she does it could effect my college, and that I could make more money back if I claimed myself instead. Is this true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KenH1

Mom wants to claim me.

If your mother provided more than 50% of your financial support, then she should claim you as a dependent.

Your income was less than $6300 (your standard deduction), so your taxable income will be zero.  By her claiming you, you lose (and she gains) your $4050 personal exemption.  But you don't need it.

If all of your income was paid on a W2 (not a 1099), then you do not even need to file, unless you had taxes withheld that you want refunded.

By claiming you as a dependent, your mother would also potentially benefit from one of the Education Credits.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KenH1

Mom wants to claim me.

If your mother provided more than 50% of your financial support, then she should claim you as a dependent.

Your income was less than $6300 (your standard deduction), so your taxable income will be zero.  By her claiming you, you lose (and she gains) your $4050 personal exemption.  But you don't need it.

If all of your income was paid on a W2 (not a 1099), then you do not even need to file, unless you had taxes withheld that you want refunded.

By claiming you as a dependent, your mother would also potentially benefit from one of the Education Credits.

Mom wants to claim me.

Will this in any way effect me as far as college?
KenH1

Mom wants to claim me.

Not sure what you mean.  It won't impact financial aid, or your status as a student

Mom wants to claim me.

Okay that was my concern. Thank you.
KenH1

Mom wants to claim me.

You're welcome
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies