Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sending taxes to federal and state

Turbo tax made me print and mail in my state tax return.  Will my federal return be sent by e-file?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JoannaT

If you chose to e-file your federal return on the File section then yes your federal is e-file even if you mail the state tax return.

When you sign in again to TurboTax the screen you get when you have e-file is the Federal return status.

If you e-filed your tax return you can check the e-file status with this link: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What does the status show under your Federal return when you log in? You have to manually click Transmit Returns to e-file your return.

Under the page titled"Here Are Your Filing Choices" it says 2016 Federal Tax Return: E-File...and....2016 State Tax Return: File By Mail.   I cannot get to a page that says Transmit Returns.  Do I need to log out and log back in?

Okay, that means your federal is going to be e-filed and you chose to print and mail your state return. If you want to change the state to e-file, just click "I'd like to change filing methods" on that page. Then change your filing method to "E-file" for the state return and click Save. Then continue through to e-file it and you should see Transmit returns button then.
JoannaT

If you chose to e-file your federal return on the File section then yes your federal is e-file even if you mail the state tax return.

When you sign in again to TurboTax the screen you get when you have e-file is the Federal return status.

If you e-filed your tax return you can check the e-file status with this link: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies