turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I did not get my 1099-misc filed for independent contractors I paid by January 31st due to illness, can I get an extension without having to pay the penalties?

I have about 45 1099 misc to file and became ill and didnt get them filed by Jan 31st.  Can I get an extension without having to pay the penalties?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I did not get my 1099-misc filed for independent contractors I paid by January 31st due to illness, can I get an extension without having to pay the penalties?

This link has the Form 8809 for an extension for 30 days. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8809.pdf

File them as soon as you can, then if IRS does send you a letter regarding a penalty, you need to ask for an abatement due to illness.

First time request for abatement is usually granted if you have been current in prior years.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

This link has the Form 8809 for an extension for 30 days. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8809.pdf

File them as soon as you can, then if IRS does send you a letter regarding a penalty, you need to ask for an abatement due to illness.

First time request for abatement is usually granted if you have been current in prior years.

Should I file the form 8809 before I continue filing the 1099 misc? I was in the middle of filing on turbo tax online and filling out the info for all the 1099s I have to do but did not submit them one at a time. I had created a list of about 35 on turbo tax and accidentally lost the page and didn't know how to get it back up. To make matters worse, the clock ticked away and struck midnight on Feb 1st. Looking at the 8809 form it appears I can't send it online for 1099misc and have to mail it. It also says I needed to send it BEFORE the filing deadline of Jan 31st. I didn't know I wasn't going to make the deadline til the last couple days and was determined to make it dispute how sick I am.  Can I still file it for an extension?  Should I go ahead and file it as I continue to work on getting the 1099s submitted or do I have to wait til they get it?

I would mail the Form 8809 today, and keep at the filing of the 1099's and be ready to provide a detailed explanation if IRS gives you a penalty --As I said they are pretty good at abating the penalty for first time glitches (which you have with the illness).

Ok.. THANK YOU SO MUCH. you have helped me so much. I couldn't sleep and have felt horrible this has happened and I'm very new stuff this so didn't know it was so involved to get this all done. Then getting sick when I needed to finish it just made it a disaster! Then I had no one to ask for help so I am SO greatful.... many many thanks!!

Am I correct that I need to mail the 8809 form and cannot do it online??

Yes, you are correct (mail) and hope you get better, and have a great nights rest tonight.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies