turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not a US citizen so cant efile ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On J1 you are a non-resident alien for the first 2 calendar years, so unless you have been in the US on a J1 visa before, you will need to file from 1040NR plus form 8843, if your income was above the personal exemption ($4050) or if you want to get a refund.

Turbotax does not support these forms. So your colleagues in the same situation filed the wrong return if they used Turbotax and will need to amend their return. What is the name of the program you came with? They should at least point you in the right direction when it comes to taxes. I see a lot of posts here of people with the same problem.

You can download all the forms from the IRS website.

Have a look at publication 519: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Please explain what you mean.

It depends on what kind of return you are required to file.    TurboTax can prepare a Form 1040 for US citizens and "Resident aliens for tax purposes."    It cannot prepare a Form 1040NR non-resident alien return or dual status returns.

I have gone through all of the documents to submit for my W2 as I worked in the US over summer and have my social security and then at the end it says step 3 filing and when I go to do this I need a US form of ID which I do not have?

What visa were you on? What dates were you in the USA? Please provide that info, and hold off on your return for right now.

I want someone familiar with international filing to help you determine if you can use TurboTax or not. As I said above TurboTax can only prepare US citizen and resident alien returns

@ pk or @ bine22   Are you able to assist this user when you next log into the forum? I'm not sure yet if he can use TurboTax or not. Thanks!

I was in the US 6th june 2016- 12th August 2016 on a J1 Working Visa, everyone else on my program has been successful

On J1 you are a non-resident alien for the first 2 calendar years, so unless you have been in the US on a J1 visa before, you will need to file from 1040NR plus form 8843, if your income was above the personal exemption ($4050) or if you want to get a refund.

Turbotax does not support these forms. So your colleagues in the same situation filed the wrong return if they used Turbotax and will need to amend their return. What is the name of the program you came with? They should at least point you in the right direction when it comes to taxes. I see a lot of posts here of people with the same problem.

You can download all the forms from the IRS website.

Have a look at publication 519: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/

greenjedi
Returning Member

I went to efile but i cant because it says one of my depentants ssn has already been claimed Im married file joint return my oldest child who i claim also could not file because ssn was already used Im guessing thats why mine is blocked also what do we do just mail our returns in she checked credit web site and nothing going on there just cant do taxes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies