turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not a Uber employee but I use their service, what can I deduct

I am using Uber services, I am not an employee for Uber.  Where do I deduct expenses.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JaimeG

Not a Uber employee but I use their service, what can I deduct

If you use Uber, the expenses may be deductible as a Job-Related expenses, Business-Related expense (Self-Employed) or Medical Commuting Expenses.

Job-Related Expenses
You can only write off Job-related Uber rides for which you were not reimbursed. Commuting expenses, even if they are occasional and are not reimbursed, are not tax deductible. If you take an Uber ride from your office to the airport to pick up a client, you pay for the fare out of pocket and you are not reimbursed by your employer, the expense is deductible. Basically, you can't deduct commutes where the starting or ending point is your Home. These expenses are an Itemized Deduction (Miscellaneous Deduction) that are limited by your AGI. Only the amount of Miscellaneous Deductions that are above 2% of your AGI are deductible.

Medical Commuting
You can deduct the cost of taking a taxi for the purpose of obtaining medical care. This includes Uber fare for yourself and another person, such as a nurse, if you are unable to travel alone. You can also write off the costs for a parent to accompany a sick child. To claim the deduction you'll have to itemize and include the fare with your other medical and dental expenses. The same documentation rules apply, so if the fare is $75 or more, you'll need a receipt. Additionally please keep in mind, only the amount of Medical Expenses that are 10% above your AGI (7.5% if older than 65) is deductible.

Please view the FAQs below for instructions on entering these Deductions in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4774888

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800418

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies