Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ChoyAxxx

Hello... My sister, who is a US Citizen, is currently in another country. She is giving me a gift in the amount of less than $100K, do I need to complete IRS Form 3520?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello... My sister, who is a US Citizen, is currently in another country. She is giving me a gift in the amount of less than $100K, do I need to complete IRS Form 3520?

No, you do not file a Form 3520.  That is only required if you receive a gift from a foreign individual who is not a US citizen or US resident and the amount is greater than $100,000.  Since your sister is a US citizen the Form 3520 is not required.

A gift received from an individual is not reported on your tax return, regardless of the amount received.

Since your sister is a US citizen she will be required to report the gift given if the amount is greater than $14,000 to a single individual.  She will need to file a Form 709 with the IRS to report the gift given.  There will not be any gift taxes owed if her total gifts given in her lifetime are less than $5.49 million (2017).  TurboTax does not support Form 709.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, you do not file a Form 3520.  That is only required if you receive a gift from a foreign individual who is not a US citizen or US resident and the amount is greater than $100,000.  Since your sister is a US citizen the Form 3520 is not required.

A gift received from an individual is not reported on your tax return, regardless of the amount received.

Since your sister is a US citizen she will be required to report the gift given if the amount is greater than $14,000 to a single individual.  She will need to file a Form 709 with the IRS to report the gift given.  There will not be any gift taxes owed if her total gifts given in her lifetime are less than $5.49 million (2017).  TurboTax does not support Form 709.

ChoyAxxx

Thank you DoninGA... This is extremely helpful
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies