turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer withholds FICA for the paycheck (pay period is last two weeks of SEP 2017 not a single day of OCT 2017 month) which I got in the first week of OCT-2017.

I was on F-1 from Jan-2017 to Sept-2017, My status for H1 changed from OCT-2017.

My employed deducted FICA taxes from the paycheck which had been paid in the first week of October but it had the pay period from 15 Sept to 30 Sept. I contacted my employer payroll department and they said:

"You were converted to H1B effective 10/1/17 and therefore will now pay social security and Medicare taxes going forward. Per the IRS guidelines, any payments received on and after 10/1 will be applicable to FICA taxes"

Actually, I got paid for the last two weeks of Sept 2017 in the OCT first week. Does it matter the pay date? Technically, I paid the FICA when I was on F-1 Visa status Is there any way to get back deducted FICA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My employer withholds FICA for the paycheck (pay period is last two weeks of SEP 2017 not a single day of OCT 2017 month) which I got in the first week of OCT-2017.

no , you cannot get the FICA refunded since you are liable for it on H1b.

Agree, but they deducted for the pay period Where I was on F1 student.

@bine22 Check my updated question and comment. Thanks for the reply.
Manage cookies