Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing fiance as dependent, she has a 1099-DIV form and I wasn't sure if I should file it under myself or if there's a similar form like the 8814 I would use? Thanks!

My fiance has no income, isn't being claimed by anyone else and has lived with me year round. In the past I believe I filed this under myself but I discovered the 8814 form for children with 1099-DIV and wasn't sure if there was a specific one for my fiance or if I should just use the 8814 for her or just file the 1099-DIV into my own taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filing fiance as dependent, she has a 1099-DIV form and I wasn't sure if I should file it under myself or if there's a similar form like the 8814 I would use? Thanks!

No you can’t file her income on your tax return.  She is not your child.  How much is it for?  Is that her only income?  She probably doesn’t have to file a return so nobody reports it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

No you can’t file her income on your tax return.  She is not your child.  How much is it for?  Is that her only income?  She probably doesn’t have to file a return so nobody reports it.

The Total capital gains are a bit over ____, total ordinary and qualified dividends are a little over ___ and her only income is around ___ something, from the last few hours of a job in 2018.

(Income info redacted)

If it’s $40 (like under $100) she doesn’t need to file except to get back any withholding taken out.  If she does file be sure she checks the box that says she can be claimed on someone else’s return.

State filing requirements may be different.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll use the dividend to report it under her name IF she needs to based off my state and federal thresholds for the amount on the 1099-DIV form. The different dividend gain thresholds will decide it but also combining that with her normal income could also make it so we have to file under her.

I'll dig in!

I didn't follow what you just said but nothing for her is based off of your thresholds or income.  .  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies