turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I underpaid 2017 taxes by $2,400.00 and I will be having additional taxes withheld for 2018 so it doesn't happen again. Do I still have to pay estimated taxes for 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CapB

I underpaid 2017 taxes by $2,400.00 and I will be having additional taxes withheld for 2018 so it doesn't happen again. Do I still have to pay estimated taxes for 2018?

No, you are not required to do anything, however, to avoid an under-withholding penalty and a large tax liability next year (based on next year's projected income and expenses) you can choose to either: 

• Change your federal and state withholding on your Form W-2's, Form 1099-R's, and Form SSA-1099's.
  • Pay quarterly income taxes.
  • Or any combination of both (withholdings and estimated tax payments). 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CapB

No, you are not required to do anything, however, to avoid an under-withholding penalty and a large tax liability next year (based on next year's projected income and expenses) you can choose to either: 

• Change your federal and state withholding on your Form W-2's, Form 1099-R's, and Form SSA-1099's.
  • Pay quarterly income taxes.
  • Or any combination of both (withholdings and estimated tax payments). 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies