Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not self employed, owed $1,100 for 2016, system auto-printed 1040-ES forms. Changing my withholding from 2->1 now. Do I have to pay these?

I think I owed extra this year b/c I shouldn't have had the withholding as 2--I'm single with no dependents.  I really don't want to over-pay the IRS...do I have to make these 1040-ES payments?  What is the penalty if I don't?  If I DO pay them and end up over-paying my taxes for 2017, do I get a refund then (I would hope!!)?  Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Not self employed, owed $1,100 for 2016, system auto-printed 1040-ES forms. Changing my withholding from 2->1 now. Do I have to pay these?

No they are optional to pay.  They don't get sent with your return so the IRS won't be expecting them.  You can ignore them.  Did you change your withholding?

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No they are optional to pay.  They don't get sent with your return so the IRS won't be expecting them.  You can ignore them.  Did you change your withholding?

Thanks for the help! Yes I changed my withholding at work from 2 to 1 using some online thing they have but I need to see if I also have to submit paperwork for that.  I feel like I already get a ton of taxes withheld so now I'm nervous about how much more is going to be withheld...I guess if it's "too much" then I'll get that refunded next year? I suppose it's better to get money back, though, than have to pay depending on your view point.  I just mostly don't want to get penalized somehow? I think that sounds right, though, that the IRS isn't like sitting waiting for my 1040 ES payments and will only take notice of that if next year I owe money and didn't pay those?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies