Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

codygumz

If I owe money on my State tax but will receive money back on my Federal return, will only the difference owed be taken out of my bank account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

If I owe money on my State tax but will receive money back on my Federal return, will only the difference owed be taken out of my bank account?

No.

The two are not subtracted from each other because they go to different taxing agencies.  The state goes to the Department of Revenue for your state and the federal will come from the IRS.

You will get the full refund and then your state will deduct what you owe them.  Not necessarily in that order.  Sometimes the state does theirs first, it really just depends on when the state and IRS get around to your returns.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieH1

No.

The two are not subtracted from each other because they go to different taxing agencies.  The state goes to the Department of Revenue for your state and the federal will come from the IRS.

You will get the full refund and then your state will deduct what you owe them.  Not necessarily in that order.  Sometimes the state does theirs first, it really just depends on when the state and IRS get around to your returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies