Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am non- resident alien and my wife is Green card holder. As I am on F-1 visa, I am exempt from social and medicate tax. how to file joint return.

I am non- resident alien and my wife is Green card holder. As I am on F-1 visa, I am exempt from social and medicate tax. If we file return saying married and jointly, do I need to pay those taxes??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I am non- resident alien and my wife is Green card holder. As I am on F-1 visa, I am exempt from social and medicate tax. how to file joint return.

No the F-1 restrictions  ( that is No FICA taxes ) for personal service earnings related to training/OPT/residency etc. remains in place . To file jointly with your spouse you ( both sign / date ) will have to request to be treated as a resident for tax purposes and need ITIN ( file form W-7  and all the docs required by it )--- note this is file by mail

Namaste ji

Thank you for quick response. just to make sure, can I still file joint return from TurboTax online and only submit ITIN (file from W-7) with declaration ?

As I have Social security number, will I still required ITIN number ??
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Sorry for not being clear, you need a Tax ID Number ( TIN) -- can be SSN  or ITIN, whichever is current for you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies