turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I claim my mother-in-law as a dependent since she lives with us, but she just started collected social security. Do I need to claim this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I claim my mother-in-law as a dependent since she lives with us, but she just started collected social security. Do I need to claim this?

No.  That is her income.

Bsch4477, thank you. I am still a bit confused since she is being claimed as my dependent again this year. I pay for over 50% of all of her expenses. I just want to make sure I am doing this right haha. Thanks again.

You can continue to claim her if you provided more than half of her support and her income was less than $4050--her social security does not count in that $4050.

Awesome. Thank you!
Manage cookies