turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No option for both divorced parents filing as head of household in turbotax 2020

I just purchased turbotax 2020 but i can't file as head of household as described in the situation here.

For this specific scenario we should both be able to file as head of household.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/filing-requirements-status-dependents/filing-status/filing-status-3

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

No option for both divorced parents filing as head of household in turbotax 2020

I am able to replicate your scenario. You are legally entitled to claim HOH since you are caring for your child and maintaining the home. When going through the dependent screen, it asks:

1. Do you have a custody agreement? select Yes
  2. Is the other parent claiming this year? select Yes

Then you need to review your filing status and mark that you maintained more than half the cost of the home.

I get the right answer. Please review your dependent entries again. If you are still struggling,  you can fill this form out for someone to call you. Another set of eyes may be needed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You both might be able to file as Head of Household if you both have dependents and other requirements are met. Can you give some more details about your case? 

The scenario is stated in the link in the original post:

1. You're not married, or you’re considered unmarried on the last day of the year.
  2. You paid more than half of the cost of keeping up a home, that was your home and the main home of your child for more than one-half of the year.
  3. Your child is your qualifying child for purposes other than the dependency exemption and the child tax credit.  

There is just no way to do it in the current version of Turbotax,  I was able to do it in the 2019 version.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

I am able to replicate your scenario. You are legally entitled to claim HOH since you are caring for your child and maintaining the home. When going through the dependent screen, it asks:

1. Do you have a custody agreement? select Yes
  2. Is the other parent claiming this year? select Yes

Then you need to review your filing status and mark that you maintained more than half the cost of the home.

I get the right answer. Please review your dependent entries again. If you are still struggling,  you can fill this form out for someone to call you. Another set of eyes may be needed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you that worked!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies