turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tomw1313

Do I need to enter a 1099-misc income under personal if entered under self employed business income. I did lest year and I think that may explain my higher taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Do I need to enter a 1099-misc income under personal if entered under self employed business income. I did lest year and I think that may explain my higher taxes?

No, only enter it once, under the Business tab.

If you think you may have duplicated the entry last year, check your tax return.  Specifically, look at your Schedule C (which is where both entries wind up), on page 1, line 1, Gross Receipts or Sales.  You may need to check it against your records to see if you added the figure twice.

If the amount was duplicated, then you'll want to file an amended return (1040X) and remove it.  IRS only accepts amendments on paper, so you'll print, sign, and mail it.

Here's the TurboTax link for amending returns, which will get you started:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

No, only enter it once, under the Business tab.

If you think you may have duplicated the entry last year, check your tax return.  Specifically, look at your Schedule C (which is where both entries wind up), on page 1, line 1, Gross Receipts or Sales.  You may need to check it against your records to see if you added the figure twice.

If the amount was duplicated, then you'll want to file an amended return (1040X) and remove it.  IRS only accepts amendments on paper, so you'll print, sign, and mail it.

Here's the TurboTax link for amending returns, which will get you started:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies