Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No one should have claimed my child as a dependent. He doesnt have a dad. Its just me and him.

My child can not have been claimed by anyone else. It's just him and I. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

No one should have claimed my child as a dependent. He doesnt have a dad. Its just me and him.

If the IRS is rejecting your return because the dependent has already been claimed, then his social security number has indeed already been used.  They will not give you information on who else claimed that number, so you will have to file on paper in the mail, and they'll send your refund.  At some point in the not-too distant future, you'll receive a letter asking for evidence that the child lived with you and other things and whoever has that information will keep the dependent claim.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

If the IRS is rejecting your return because the dependent has already been claimed, then his social security number has indeed already been used.  They will not give you information on who else claimed that number, so you will have to file on paper in the mail, and they'll send your refund.  At some point in the not-too distant future, you'll receive a letter asking for evidence that the child lived with you and other things and whoever has that information will keep the dependent claim.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies