cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

I cannot file my federal return because certain forms are not available. Does this preclude me from filing my state return as well?

I would like to file my state return now because it will help me pay my federal taxes.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 1

I cannot file my federal return because certain forms are not available. Does this preclude me from filing my state return as well?

Unfortunately, you cannot E-file your State Income Tax Return before you E-file your Federal Income Tax Return. 

You can, However, mail your State return at any time and E-file your Federal later.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Level 1

Unfortunately, you cannot E-file your State Income Tax Return before you E-file your Federal Income Tax Return. 

You can, However, mail your State return at any time and E-file your Federal later.  

View solution in original post

Level 1

since you were so helpful, help me also with this please.  Apparently I am going to be charged a penalty for being under withheld, but the only reason I am under withheld is because my withholding rate was lowered after the tax reform bill became law.  How can I use my turbo tax to explain this?
Highlighted
Level 1

No Need.  The IRS knows many people are in your position.  They are going to waive the penalty.  See the following from the IRS. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-waives-penalty-for-many-whose-tax-withholding-and-estimated-tax-pay...>
Level 1

thank you, sir.  you are a prince!