Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

No more children to claim on taxes

How do we anticipate for not being able to claim a child when we file taxes next year?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

No more children to claim on taxes

Hi HertzFam, great idea to plan ahead now for not having the child tax credit or the other dependent credit.  You will want to submit an updated Form W-4 to your employer.  There is a W-4 Calculator that will take you through step-by-step,


Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.  You should see more tax withheld after removing the dependent from your Form W-4.


I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings