turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kbrodeur

If my dependent is a full time student, isnt my return larger? usually around $3000.00?

He is 17 years old and still in high school
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If my dependent is a full time student, isnt my return larger? usually around $3000.00?

No. Full time student only extends the age for a Qualifying Child from 18 to 23. There's nothing additional, until you start paying college tuition. 

Your problem is that your "qualifying child'' turned 17 and no longer qualifies for the child tax credit. This comes as a big surprise to many parents the year their child turns 17. A child over age 16 no longer qualifies for the Child Tax credit (CTC). Although a child can still be a student dependent through age 23, and a qualifying child for EIC,  the Child Tax Credit expires the year they turn 17 and you no longer get the $1000 CTC.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. Full time student only extends the age for a Qualifying Child from 18 to 23. There's nothing additional, until you start paying college tuition. 

Your problem is that your "qualifying child'' turned 17 and no longer qualifies for the child tax credit. This comes as a big surprise to many parents the year their child turns 17. A child over age 16 no longer qualifies for the Child Tax credit (CTC). Although a child can still be a student dependent through age 23, and a qualifying child for EIC,  the Child Tax Credit expires the year they turn 17 and you no longer get the $1000 CTC.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies