turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can the IRS take my husbands refund if we file married filing separate and I owe money?

If we file joint, we owe around $5,000.  If  we file separate my husband would get back around $3,000 and I owe around 5,000.  Would the IRS take his refund to put to what I owe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherekaB

Can the IRS take my husbands refund if we file married filing separate and I owe money?

No. Choosing the married-filing-separately status offers financial protection: the IRS won't apply his refund to your balance due.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SherekaB

No. Choosing the married-filing-separately status offers financial protection: the IRS won't apply his refund to your balance due.

Unless you live in a community property state.   Then that part of the refund that is community property can be taken.  (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin )
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Manage cookies