turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to stop FICA deductions

I am a paid DHS caregiver for my daughter who lives with me in Oregon. I filed a tax exempt W-4 for both Oregon & Federal income taxes and do not have any income taxes withheld. The problem is they are still withholding FICA. When I worked in Washington the payroll department  did not withhold FICA.  I have filled out a W-4 to correct this issue multiple times and submitted them to the local DHS office, they keep sending it to their payroll department. Payroll tell DHS that submitted the forms, but the deductions continue. I filled out a Form 843 and sent it to the IRS to get a refund to try and stop it. I have been waiting months for the IRS to process it. So far they have notified me they received my letter and that I will get a response in 2 months. Is there something I am doing wrong as far as dealing with payroll? I would like to get this resolved sooner, instead of waiting for the IRS. I am not allowed to contact payroll directly, I have to go through the local DHS office.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

a w-4 will not stop FICA withholding. that's only for federal withholding.  contact the DHS in your state for the form to stop FICA w/h

but you may want to see this thread to determine if you really are exempt from FIVCA taxes

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2016/sep/taxes-for-caregivers.html 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

a w-4 will not stop FICA withholding. that's only for federal withholding.  contact the DHS in your state for the form to stop FICA w/h

but you may want to see this thread to determine if you really are exempt from FIVCA taxes

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2016/sep/taxes-for-caregivers.html 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies