JWMat

My wife says she filed separated head of household standard deduction. How do I answer the question of what my Spouse filed on my return..it only says standard or itemized? If i pick standard then i cant itemize..if i pick itemize then i can but she didnt

According to turbo tax I can itemize only if she filed Married separate and itemized or if she took standard deductions then she would have had to file head of household..which she did.so what do I click on..standard deduction or itemize? There is no choice for the other..
Melaine

You wife may have to file an amendment.  She cannot file head of household because she is married, unless ALL the qualifications in the post below applies.  The only filing options usually available for married couples are married filing jointly or married filing separately.  Head of household filing status is usually for unmarried taxpayers with dependents.  Also, you are correct, if she files using the standard deduction so will you, you will not be able to itemize.  Both spouses must use the same type of deduction.  Both filing using the standard deduction or both itemizing.  Whenever she amends, if she has to, you can both also fix to itemizing your deductions.