slai64_vuz

My wife lives in Canada and has only Canadian income. I work in NY, US and have to file tax as resident alien. Which file status is better: married joint or separate?

Vanessa

Generally, if one spouse lives in another country, it is simpler to file as separate.  Also, if she has Canadian Income and you filed a joint return you must include her income on the return so it will increase your taxable income and you will be liable for taxes on her income as well minus any foreign tax credits. 

Vanessa

Cdngirl

Hey!! I’m in the same situation would love to learn how you filed your taxes?