turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife holds an F2 visa as a dependent, and she doesn't have any SSN or ITIN. How can we proceed and finalize our case?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My wife holds an F2 visa as a dependent, and she doesn't have any SSN or ITIN. How can we proceed and finalize our case?

how long have you both been in the US?

About six months.

On F1 (and the visa-dependent on F2) you are a nonresident alien for 5 calendar years and would need to file form 1040NR plus form 8843 as well as the dependent on F2, if they have no income, they would have to file form 8843.

Your filing status would be married filing separately.

Turbotax does not support this kind of return.

Have a look at Sprintax, or download the forms form the IRS website.

Also, have a look at publication 519: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/

mmasoud
Returning Member

What if the F1 is a resident align for 2019 tax, and has been in US above 5 years, and his wife and kids have not  SSN nor ITIN. How to file please

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

If you are a resident alien for the tax year, you will file either using the Married Filing Separately status, which does not require that your spouse have an ITIN, or you can elect to file jointly with your spouse and apply for an ITIN to do so. 

Electing to file jointly with your spouse, you would also need to elect to treat her as a resident alien for tax purposes (this does not affect her immigration status) and include any worldwide income that she has on your tax return.  

For more information about that option, see: Nonresident alien spouse.

If you would like to apply for an ITIN, here is the information you need: Form W-7

@mmasoud

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies