cmwhite90

My wife and I seperated on Sept 2, 2017. I was the only one working and I paid for everything till then. She moved out. Can I file her on my taxes? What file status?

Vanessa

In order to file a joint return, she would have to agree to it and sign the return.  So, if she wants to file her taxes by herself then you will both need to file as Married Filing Separately.  You will also both need to 

• Take either the Standard Deduction or the Itemized Deductions (you both must do the same)
  • Enter the other spouses' Name and Social Security Number on your returns.  

Vanessa

Are you still married legally?  Is she willing to file a joint return?
cmwhite90

We are still married. She wants to file her taxes by herself. She has made maybe $3000 last year in the few months seperated.
Vanessa