turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdrobert

My wife and I got married last year and she changed her name this year. Because it no longer matches to some of her tax forms, will this delay the filing?

Should I enter her most up-to-date driver's license? She I enter her old license? Should I opt not to enter one to avoid confusion (she did file NY state tax earned since she's a consultant)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

My wife and I got married last year and she changed her name this year. Because it no longer matches to some of her tax forms, will this delay the filing?

The name on your tax return should match the name you have on record with the Social Security Administration.

If you were married or divorced during the tax year, and changed your name, make sure that the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If they do not match, your tax refund could be delayed.

NOTE:  If some of your tax paperwork, such as W-2s, 1099s, etc. have your previous name or a previous address, do not worry.  It will not affect your filing.  However, you want to make sure that employers, vendors, etc. who provided you these documents have your most updated name and address.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaR

The name on your tax return should match the name you have on record with the Social Security Administration.

If you were married or divorced during the tax year, and changed your name, make sure that the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If they do not match, your tax refund could be delayed.

NOTE:  If some of your tax paperwork, such as W-2s, 1099s, etc. have your previous name or a previous address, do not worry.  It will not affect your filing.  However, you want to make sure that employers, vendors, etc. who provided you these documents have your most updated name and address.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies