• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malorysp

My wife and I are living together. She filed her taxes as single to benefit more. This might affect other plans. Is it possible to change the filing status. If so, how?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
xmasbaby0
Level 15

My wife and I are living together. She filed her taxes as single to benefit more. This might affect other plans. Is it possible to change the filing status. If so, how?

If you were legally married at the end of 2017 your filing choices are married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will each receive the $4050 personal exemption, plus the married filing jointly standard deduction of $12,700 (add $1250 for each spouse over the age of 65).  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit. 

If you choose to file married filing separately, both spouses have to file the same way—either you both itemize or you both use standard deduction. Your tax rate will be higher than on a joint return. Some of the special rules for filing separately include: you cannot get earned income credit, education credits, adoption credits, or deductions for student loan interest. A higher percent of your Social Security benefits may be taxable.  In many cases you will not be able to take the child and dependent care credit. The amount you can contribute to a retirement account will be affected. If you live in a community property state, you will be required to provide additional information regarding your spouse’s income. ( Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI) If  you are using online TurboTax to prepare your returns, you will need to prepare two separate returns and pay twice.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies
xmasbaby0
Level 15

She filed as "Single"?  She is not allowed to do that.  And did she give any thought to how you are now supposed to file?  Are you also supposed to file an incorrect tax return?  Even if you file as married filing separately, you have to enter her SSN on your return.  Eventually the IRS will catch it and someone will go, "hmmm.. she filed as single but is listed as the spouse on this return..."  Your wife needs to amend her return ---either you amend her return to a joint return for both of you or she amends to married filing separately and you file as married filing separately too.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
malorysp

Thanks... you are right. i hadn't even thought of that. It means i can't file as married now. She has already submitted the tax return. What can we do now to amend this? i really appreciate your swift response. It was of great help.
xmasbaby0
Level 15

Now you have to wait for her e-filed return to be fully processed and she gets her refund.  Then it will be time to amend her return one way or the other -- either to a joint return with you or to MFS.  You have to use a Form 1040X, which has to be printed, signed and mailed.  The 1040X will be available around mid-February.  It takes the IRS 3-4 months to process an amended return.  While you are waiting, evaluate your decision as to whether to file MFS or MFJ.  Review some of the information given below to compare the difference between filing MFS or MFJ.
xmasbaby0
Level 15

If you were legally married at the end of 2017 your filing choices are married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will each receive the $4050 personal exemption, plus the married filing jointly standard deduction of $12,700 (add $1250 for each spouse over the age of 65).  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit. 

If you choose to file married filing separately, both spouses have to file the same way—either you both itemize or you both use standard deduction. Your tax rate will be higher than on a joint return. Some of the special rules for filing separately include: you cannot get earned income credit, education credits, adoption credits, or deductions for student loan interest. A higher percent of your Social Security benefits may be taxable.  In many cases you will not be able to take the child and dependent care credit. The amount you can contribute to a retirement account will be affected. If you live in a community property state, you will be required to provide additional information regarding your spouse’s income. ( Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI) If  you are using online TurboTax to prepare your returns, you will need to prepare two separate returns and pay twice.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v