Follow these steps to make sure your dependent's info has been entered correctly. Their name and Social Security number should match what's on their Social Security card. See also Helpful Tips, below.
- Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
- At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, select Fix It Now.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the cause of the rejection and re-file your return.
You can also go directly to the dependent screen to make additional corrections:
- With your return open, select My Info (on mobile devices, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then select File).
- On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit next to the dependent.
- Proceed to the Tell us about [dependent] screen, make any corrections, then select Continue.
- Note: To verify your dependent's Social Security number, keep going through the interview (it's about 7 or 8 screens in).
- Select File in the left-hand menu (on mobile devices, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then select File).
- At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Do not select Fix my return, you've already done that).
- Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.
What if everything already matches the social security card?
It could be that the info in the IRS database is incorrect or your dependent isn't in their database yet.
Keep following the onscreen instructions and we'll help you file your return by mail. You won't be able to e-file even though your information was entered correctly.
Tip: To prevent this rejection next year, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records (this is where the IRS database pulls from). If the info is wrong, please allow 4–6 weeks for correction.