Musicalpoetry25

My tax return doesn't look right. I'm getting almost a thousand dollars less back in federal yet my income is almost the same as last year.

My return isn't adding up. I knew I would have to pay state but I expected to get at least 600.00 back in federal. My income and federal taxes paid almost mirror last years yet I'm getting back a thousand dollars less.

No one on Answer Xchange can see your return.  There are are lot of variables that affect your refund or tax due including how much you earned, how much tax you had withheld, your filing status, the number of dependents you claim, your deductions and credits, etc.  You may have lost Earned Income Credit or the Child Tax Credit. Or do you have a healthcare penalty?  The best way to find the difference is to print and compare 2016 and 2017 side by side

And of course, always check your own data entries, looking for errors such as misplaced decimals or extra zeros.