turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajamel

My state requires me to file electronically. Has anyone figured out a way to submit a state return online even though the federal return was required to be mailed?

The TurboTax software wouldn't let me efile my state tax return because of my federal return being mailed, but the state requires me to file online. Also, my TurboTax account says that I printed it and filed it and doesn't give me an option to file it... help!!!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My state requires me to file electronically. Has anyone figured out a way to submit a state return online even though the federal return was required to be mailed?

What state? Every state has different rules. If it's New York, you only have to file electronically if your tax software allows it. If TurboTax does not allow you to file electronically, go ahead and file by mail.

You can never e-file a state return unless you e-file your federal return.  That's a security measure put in place a few years ago to prevent the filing of fraudulent state tax returns without a corresponding federal return.  Any state that has a general e-file requirement will also allow exceptions when you have a situation that does not allow e-filing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies