turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mommy29

My SSN is wrong and i received my taxes already, i updated it when i got an email from turbotax and i don't know why the wrong SSN was filed?

The document that said my tax is denied has the right SSN, and i when i checked the document that was filed has the wrong one. What will i do with this and i received my taxes already. And now i received a letter from IRS and have to pay $68.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

My SSN is wrong and i received my taxes already, i updated it when i got an email from turbotax and i don't know why the wrong SSN was filed?

It's not clear why you would owe an additional $68 unless something was changed on the tax return.  The social security number (SSN) would not create a change in tax owed or refund.

You should attach a copy of the return you already filed with IRS to a letter and a copy of your social security card from the Social Security Administration (SSA) as proof of your correct number. Write "Duplicate" on the top of the tax return copy you send with the letter.  The letter should explain that you accidentally entered the wrong SSN on the original return that was file.

This will allow the IRS to correct your SSN and attach your tax return to the correct SSN. An amendment is not required in this situation because you are changing personal information not income, deductions, credits or payments.

Click this link to find the address for your area: Where to File Paper Returns With or Without a Payment

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies