Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
lal

My spouse died in Dec 2016. He had income in 2017 We also had a large deduction carryover to be taken for 2017 tax year. How do I file? Single - widowed No dependents?

MelaineC

If your spouse died in 2016, and you haven't remarried and you don't have a dependent, your status is Single for 2017 tax year and going forward or until you remarry.  However, to get the most accurate determination of how you will be able to file for 2017, please visit the IRS's interactive, up to date, questionnaire at What is my filing Status.  Here you will get a more accurate determination based on the new tax laws for 2017 by answering a series of anonymous questions.  I am truly sorry to hear about your loss and hope for the best for you.

MelaineC