Solved: "My spouse died dec 18, 2017, I filed 2017 married/joint; how do I file for 2018 ? Can I file as a qualifing widower ?"

"My spouse died dec 18, 2017, I filed 2017 married/joint; how do I file for 2018 ? Can I file as a qualifing widower ?"

Only if you have a dependent child.

Qualifying Widow (or Qualifying Widower) is a filing status that allows you to retain the benefits of the Married Filing Jointly status for two years after the year of your spouse's death. You must have a dependent child in order to file as a Qualifying Widow or Widower.

Sorry for your loss.

Only if you have a dependent child.

Sorry for your loss.