• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debbiepowell-1

My son just turned 19 before he graduated high school in 2017. he then joined the marines in sept of 2017. can I still claim him as a dependant?

my son was 19 when he graduated high school in 2017, lived with my husband and I for 9 months, then joined the marines in sept of 2017.  can I claim him as a dependent or should I let him claim himself on his taxes?  he made appx $3000.00 last year while in the marines.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CherylW
Level 3

My son just turned 19 before he graduated high school in 2017. he then joined the marines in sept of 2017. can I still claim him as a dependant?

In this specific case, your son is too old to be your Qualifying Child.

However

because his income was under $4,050 and you provided more than half of his support for the year, he is your Qualifying Relative and can be claimed as your dependent on your tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CherylW
Level 3

In this specific case, your son is too old to be your Qualifying Child.

However

because his income was under $4,050 and you provided more than half of his support for the year, he is your Qualifying Relative and can be claimed as your dependent on your tax return.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v