debbiepowell-1

My son just turned 19 before he graduated high school in 2017. he then joined the marines in sept of 2017. can I still claim him as a dependant?

my son was 19 when he graduated high school in 2017, lived with my husband and I for 9 months, then joined the marines in sept of 2017.  can I claim him as a dependent or should I let him claim himself on his taxes?  he made appx $3000.00 last year while in the marines.

CherylW

In this specific case, your son is too old to be your Qualifying Child.

However

because his income was under $4,050 and you provided more than half of his support for the year, he is your Qualifying Relative and can be claimed as your dependent on your tax return.

CherylW

However