Solved: My son is married and has a child and they been living with us for the past 3 years, can I get a tax break on that

My son is married and has a child and they been living with us for the past 3 years, can I get a tax break on that

Only if the parents allow you to claim the child as your dependent and they do not claim the child at all.

Qualifying Child of More Than One Person

Sometimes, a child meets the relationship, age, residency, support, and joint return tests to be a qualifying child of more than one person. Although the child is a qualifying child of each of these persons, only one person can actually treat the child as a qualifying child to take all of the following tax benefits (provided the person is eligible for each benefit).

1) The exemption for the child.
2) The child tax credit.
3) Head of household filing status.
4) The credit for child and dependent care expenses.
5) The exclusion from income for dependent care benefits.
6)The earned income credit.

The other person can’t take any of these benefits based on this qualifying child. In other words, you and the other person can’t agree to divide these benefits between you. The other person can’t take any of these tax benefits for a child unless he or she has a different qualifying child.

1) The exemption for the child.
2) The child tax credit.
3) Head of household filing status.
6)The earned income credit.