• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryans0780

My son is 38 years old, lived with me, made roughly $2,000 last year, can he be claimed as a dependent? Can I still claim him if he filed his own taxes? or do I file him?

My son is 38 years old, lived with me, made roughly $2,000 last year, can he be claimed as a dependent? Can I still claim him if he filed his own taxes? or do I file for him? Since we supported a lot for him we should be able to claim him, right?

3 Replies
JulieR

My son is 38 years old, lived with me, made roughly $2,000 last year, can he be claimed as a dependent? Can I still claim him if he filed his own taxes? or do I file him?

Yes.  Based on your description it sounds like he qualifies as your dependent.  Below is helpful information about who qualifies as a dependent. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5187060
ryans0780

Even though he filed his own taxes already?
JulieR

If your son filed already and did not indicate that he qualifies as your dependent, you will not be able to claim him on an e-filed return.  Instead you will need to print your return and file it by mail.  You son will need to amend his return in order to "un-claim" himself.  When IRS receives your return, they will send you both a letter and may request additional information.  The other way around this is to wait until your son's amended return is fully processed (it can take up to 6 weeks), then file your return (still by mail).  If you choose this option, you should file an extension for your own return.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v