Solved: My son is 16 and worked this summer made $335. We claimed exempt. Can I file his return with mine or does it have to be done separate?

My son is 16 and worked this summer made $335. We claimed exempt. Can I file his return with mine or does it have to be done separate?

Your return would never include his earnings. On top of that, he is not required to file a return as he made too little to be required to do so.

Filing a return for him will also not result in a refund if he had no federal or state income taxes withheld.

You don't need to do a thing.

You don't need to do a thing.

Even though he is not required to file a federal return, he may be required to file a state return. Please check with your state department of revenue for state filing requirements. For example, in PA the filing requirement is $34. (yes only $34)

Yeah, that's low! I've never noticed any state even come close to that! (Though it looks like its actually $33...for what its worth)

Thanks, I will correct my notes. 🙂