Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fgauna903

My son filed his own taxes before talking with me. He is still living in my home and i cover all of his expenses. Can I still claim him as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My son filed his own taxes before talking with me. He is still living in my home and i cover all of his expenses. Can I still claim him as a dependent?

Provide some details.  How old was he at the end of 2019?  Was he a full-time student in 2019?  Did he have over $4200 of income in 2019?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

here are the rules for qualifying child

you can claim them if these 5 test are met for qualifying child

1) related to you

2) under 19 at end of year and younger than you or spouse if MFJ 

or

under 24 at end of year and a full time student (enrolled in a qualifying school during any part of 5 calendar months in the year and younger than you or spouse if MFJ

3) child must have the same principal residence as taxpayer for more than 1/2 the year (temporary absences like away at school are ignored

4) the child did not provide over 1/2 their support 

5) didn't file a joint return, exception if filed joint return to get taxes paid in when there was no tax liability 

now lets say all 5 tests aren't met then you have to check to see if person is a qualifying relative by meeting these 3 tests (relative is a misnomer)

1) member of household - lived in your household all year except for temporary absences or be related to you 
2) gross income under $4,200 for 2019
3) you provided offer 1/2 person's support

if you claim him, he'll have to file an amended return once his return is fully processed

you will have to mail in your returns - they can no longer be efiled for 2019

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies