maribel-canaan

My son & his girlfriend live with me he works but I pay all bills. Can I claim them both as dependents? My mom is on public assistance can I claim her?

my mom lives with me and so does my son and his girlfriend who is about to have a baby due in feb 2017. I provide all financial support. my son was unemployed for 5 months in 2016

Your son, his girlfriend and your Mom would all fall under the Qualifying Relative rules for claiming someone as a dependent.  If your son had gross income of $4,050 or more during the year you could not claim him as a dependent under the rules (any unemployment compensation would also be regarded as income).  If the girlfriend did not live in your home for the entire year you could not claim her as a dependent (income rules also apply).  You may be able to claim your Mom as a dependent under the rules if the only support she receives is state aid (which is not regarded as income).  Claiming your Mom as a dependent May affect her eligibility for the assistance so you should check with the state aid department for more information.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.

2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household. 

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050 (social security does not count) in 2016

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.

6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

maribel-canaan

She has lived with me for 2 years. Should i claim her or my son?

"My mom is on public assistance can I claim her"  Her assistance can be impacted by the support you provide her, whether you claim her or not.