turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlong1

My SO is the earner in our house. I worked pt this year. I made less than 6000 untaxed. Do I claim my income on our joint return? Would filing separately be better?

He makes 39600 claiming 0 we have 3 kids I don't get a 1099 I do get a personal check as payment

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My SO is the earner in our house. I worked pt this year. I made less than 6000 untaxed. Do I claim my income on our joint return? Would filing separately be better?

Joint return?  If you are not legally married you cannot file a joint return.  You each file your own returns with a filing status of single--one of you may file as Head of Household.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How much less than 6,000 did you make?  If you are not married he can not claim you as a dependent if you made more than $4,000 total for the year (4,050 for 2017).

"I don't get a 1099 I do get a personal check..."  Even $400 in self-employment income must be reported.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies