My SO is the earner in our house. I worked pt this year. I made less than 6000 untaxed. Do I claim my income on our joint return? Would filing separately be better?

jlong1

He makes 39600 claiming 0 we have 3 kids I don't get a 1099 I do get a personal check as payment

Joint return?  If you are not legally married you cannot file a joint return.  You each file your own returns with a filing status of single--one of you may file as Head of Household.

How much less than 6,000 did you make?  If you are not married he can not claim you as a dependent if you made more than $4,000 total for the year (4,050 for 2017).

"I don't get a 1099 I do get a personal check..."  Even $400 in self-employment income must be reported.