Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I receive a gift for a downpayment on a house, but return the gift within a short period?

goal is to access cash for a downpayment, if our sale hasn't closed yet.  Want to avoid adding to lifetime gift tax/ estate tax penalty for the person we are borrowing from.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

What if I receive a gift for a downpayment on a house, but return the gift within a short period?

What you describe is not a gift in any way, form or fashion. It's a loan. You don't pay taxes on  borrowed money, because it's not "your" money. However, if you pay interest on that loan, then the recipient of that interest has to report the interest they receive from you, as taxable income.
You may (or may not) also find that a reputable lender will not approve your mortgage either, as you having to pay back the loan for the down payment is a liability that counts against you from the mortgage lender's perspective. Generally, that down payment is expected to be "your" money. When the lender is pulling your credit, they're going to want to know where you got that down payment from. If the down payment is truly a gift, then they will most likely want legally enforceable paperwork to indicate that, and that you are under no obligation to pay it back.  If the "gift" is over 14K to any one individual in a tax year, then the giver of the gift has to file a gift tax return with the IRS - but you already know that I take it.

Thanks so much for the quick answer- I get it, you cannot have it both ways! either it's a gift or a loan-
Carl
Level 15

My sister-in-law experienced something akin to this, and learned the hard way. She was looking to buy a $150K house, for which she did have the income to qualify for the $120K loan after putting down the required $30K. She borrowed the down payment money from her mother and deposited it in her savings account. When the bank pulled her credit report and other financial information, they of course asked about the sudden $30K increase in her net worth. It didn't matter that she had the income to afford the payments. Her loan application was disapproved. It was a real effort for me to hold my tongue and not say, "I told you so." 🙂

thanks, I'm in conversation over this with my mortgage broker, so it's all out on the table already... thanks for the comment
Carl
Level 15

Sounds like you're handling it the best way possible. Just remember this when it comes to what you and broker talk about and "agree on".  IF IT"S NOT IN WRITING, THEN IT DID NOT OCCUR.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies