My return was rejected because my ex erroneously claimed one of my children. I have not gotten any response from the ex about fixing the situation. What do I do?

johndoe

I know I can send a letter explaining the situation to the IRS.  Will this increase my chances of an audit?

Claim the child as normal; and print, sign and file by mail. The IRS will investigate. Do not send the IRS any documentation unless/until they request it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

eventually both you and your ex will get a notice from the IRS asking to amend return.   if neither party does, then the IRS sends out a second notice which requests proof that you are entitled to exemption.  the IRS then investigates the proof sent and makes a judgement based on the tax laws as to who should get it.  the one who shouldn't gets a bill.