turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My parents are trying to claim me after I supported myself except for medical insurance and shelter. I also moved out officially in September but had been gone since June

My parents are trying to claim me after they only supported medical and shelter for me. I paid for everything else and had been out of the house since June but officially moved out in September.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarlitaH

My parents are trying to claim me after I supported myself except for medical insurance and shelter. I also moved out officially in September but had been gone since June

Have they already filed? That's the first question you have to ask. If they have and they have claimed you as a dependent and you file, your return will be rejected and you will have to file an amended return. If they have not already filed, then you can file and the situation will be vice versa.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CarlitaH

Have they already filed? That's the first question you have to ask. If they have and they have claimed you as a dependent and you file, your return will be rejected and you will have to file an amended return. If they have not already filed, then you can file and the situation will be vice versa.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies